The waiting is almost over for Hollywood’s biggest night of the year! With the 84th Academy Awards coming up tomorrow (Feb. 26), it’s time to test your Oscar show know-how. Here’s our Oscar Quiz, with a little gossip, a little trivia and a few blush-worthy moments mixed in:
1) Which of last year’s winners failed to return from the bar fast enough, got locked out of the Kodak Theater during the awards, and missed a costar’s win? A. Melissa Leo B. Colin Firth C. Christian Bale
2) This is Billy Crystal’s ninth Oscar show hosting, but he has a ways to go before surpassing Bob Hope’s record of Academy Awards emceeing. How many times did Hope host? A. 12 B. 18 C. 21
3) This past Oscar nominee crashed the Academy’s Board of Governor’s Ball wearing rumpled cotton slacks and a Hawaiian shirt. A. Johnny Depp B. Bill Murray C. Djimon Hounsou
4) This Best Actor Oscar winner’s acceptance speech, thanking his high school drama teacher, a gay man, is said to have been the inspiration for Kevin Kline’s “In and Out” movie. A. Richard Dreyfuss for “The Goodbye Girl” B. Tom Hanks for “Philadelphia” C. Russell Crowe for “Gladiator”
5 ) Which of this year’s “The Help” acting nominees was the parole board member questioning Danny Ocean (George Clooney) in the opening scene of “Ocean’s Eleven?” A. Jessica Chastain B. Octavia Spencer C. Viola Davis
6 ) Hal Holbrook and Ruby Dee were nominees with a special distinction in the 80th Oscars. What did they have in common? A. They were the last two nominees born before the first Academy Awards. B. They were also both Emmy nominees that year. C. They both did voiceovers for Sears Financial Services.
7) The story goes that she won an Oscar, he was jealous, and it led to their breakup. A. Sandra Bullock and Jesse James B. Sally Field and Burt Reynolds C. Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise
8 ) Which one of these portrayals did not involve partial nudity? A. Gwyneth Paltrow “Shakespeare in Love” B. Catherine Zeta-Jones “Chicago” C. Kathy Bates “About Schmidt”
9) Which Best Actress winner was so mortified to realize she’d forgotten to thank her husband in her acceptance speech, she spent the next year trying to rectify the slight? A. Halle Berry B. Hilary Swank C. Helen Hunt
10) After he dumped her on national TV, she showed up on the Oscar red carpet looking especially stunning. A. Brad Pitt, Gwyneth Paltrow B. Billy Bob Thornton, Laura Dern C. Matt Damon, Minnie Driver
11) A long-standing urban legend has it that the 1993 Best Supporting Actress Oscar should have gone to Vanessa Redgrave for “Howard’s End,” but presenter Jack Palance incorrectly announced this actress’ name instead. No truth to it, by the way. A. Juliette Binoche, for “The English Patient.” B. Mira Sorvino, for “Mighty Aphrodite.” C. Marisa Tomei, for “My Cousin Vinny.”
12) Which actress was so flustered by her win she left her Oscar behind in the ladies room? A. Holly Hunter B. Meryl Streep C. Whoopi Goldberg
ANSWERS 1) C: Christian Bale missed out on his “The Fighter” mom, Melissa Leo’s Oscar moment.
2) B: 18
3) B: Bill Murray
4) B: Tom Hanks
5 ) C: Viola Davis
6 ) A: They were born before the first Oscars in 1929
7) B: Sally Field and Burt Reynolds. Bullock learned James was having an affair days after her Oscar win. Kidman won after her marriage to Cruise had ended.
8 ) B: Catherine Zeta-Jones
9) B: Hilary Swank, who won again the next year and thanked now-ex husband Chad Lowe first.
10) C: Matt Damon, Minnie Driver
11) C: Marisa Tomei
12) B: Meryl Streep