Happy Thanksgiving to one and all and a big thank you to readers of this column who submitted candidates for Beck/Smith Hollywood’s 35th Annual Tacky Taste Awards! Yes, we received votes for both President Barack Obama and former governor Mitt Romney this election year — but our tackiest Top Ten drew more. There are so many celebrity turkeys this year, we’d better get started before indigestion sets in:
There was a time when Nicollette Sheridan’s court battle against “Desperate Housewives” creator Marc Cherry and ABC would have meant career suicide. The blond bombshell has branded herself as a troublemaker. She’s shown an edgy, prickly side on the witness stand. She’s invited scrutiny from the public and the media — the kind of scrutiny that involves repeated references to her 48 years of age and to her career having faded before being revitalized in 2004 by her “Desperate Housewives” role of Edie Britt.
Yes, there was a time we would have expected her to be expelled by the industry over this fight — relegated to the dinner theater circuit like Suzanne Somers when she fell from network grace after tiffing with “Three’s Company” over her demand for a 500 per cent pay raise and a piece of the show decades ago. There would be no win for Sheridan’s career, whether or not she wins some or all of the $20 million she’s aiming to get following her claims of assault against Cherry and subsequent wrongful termination. (Cherry’s jovial quips eliciting laughter from the jury this week — not a good sign.)
However, this is 2012, when good things happen to bad boys and girls. Charlie Sheen’s wanton carryings on, his beating up of women, his drug use, his arrests, his widely-booed Violent Torpedo of Truth stage show and all his internet strangeness got him a much-anticipated new FX TV series, “Anger Management.” Recent morgue worker Lindsay Lohan’s “Saturday Night Live” guest-hosting stint last weekend garnered the show its second highest ratings of the season. Also in the news is “Jersey Shore” low-life Snooki, famous for stumbling around intoxicated in public and so forth; as reports of her pregnancy swirl through the media, she sports a half-million-dollar engagement ring.
Nicollette, in fact, might not be bad enough. She’s going to need to step up her game and do more than show exasperation. She did slap her attorney, but only as a demonstration of what she says Cherry did to her. Maybe she should slap him for real, and get rid of those sedate dark courtroom clothes. Show cleavage. Show disrespect. Show up drunk. Have a wardrobe malfunction on the courthouse steps. Take a tip from Lindsay, who cleverly painted “f— you” on one of her fingernails knowing the cameras followed her every move as a defendant. It might not be too late for a “Mark Cherry Sucks” tattoo in an eye-catching spot, for example.
If Nicollette and/or her handlers are clever enough to use all this attention to burnish her brand as a still-hot-looking diva cougar, maybe it could actually help her career. Maybe there will be a new show in it for her. At the very least, surely Donald Trump would save a seat for her in his “Celebrity Apprentice” board room.
Happy Thanksgiving to all, and a special thank-you to the readers who joined in with their votes and comments for our 34th Annual Tacky Taste Awards. In a year when some of the biggest scandals in the news — from Penn State to politics — took place outside the Hollywood realm, there’s still a banquet of show business celebrity turkeys to chew on. And heeeeere they are.
1. Kim Kardashian & Family. Riled up over Kim’s 72-day marriage to NBA player Kris Humphries, readers voted to bestow 1st Place, Tackiest Celebrities of the Year dishonors on the Kardashian clan. Among the comments:
“KarTRA$Hian is KarKA$Hingin — the fake marriage down to the crappy clothes at Sears.” — Hannah L., New York, NY
“She went from saying Kris was so nice and down to earth to saying he was only in it to climb the fame ladder practically overnight. Of course people are suspicious. She made more than $17 million from the wedding.” — Pam R.,Canton, OH.
“Kim Kardashian was made for your Tacky Taste Award.” — Nathan P., San Francisco, CA
Steve M. from Dallas, TX had a different take: “I think all the dimwits who watch the Kardashian family and then complain about them deserve a Tacky award. Idiots, change the channel!”
2. Chuck Lorre and Charlie Sheen So many voters mentioned the “Two and a Half Men” creator and his former star together, it seemed appropriate to reunite them just this one last time in the annals of Tacky Taste. For example:
From Julia in AZ: “Charlie Sheen’s year of tirades, drugs and hookers and Chuck Lorre’s repeated endcaps and on-air rebuttles have really done it for me. I thought by now the banter would be over and bringing in Ashton would let the show stand on its own, but Chuck doesn’t seem to want to let go. Week after week they have to rehash all of Charlie’s downfalls. Come on, kill the show now if you are going to make it a year of Charlie-channeling. Even Charlie seems to have learned to shut his mouth.”
G.M. in Santa Monica, CA wrote, “Not that I’m buying Charlie Sheen’s good behavior act, but Chuck Lorre needs to get over being bitter and stop sniping at Charlie and try to improve the show, which sucks now.”
In the opinion of witty Bernice R. of Naples, FL, “It has been a close race this year for the Tacky Taste Award. Charlie Sheen was the star of the pack early on, but his admitting to his foolish rages took the edge off criticizing him. Darn. But then when all seemed lost, Kim Kardashian came along with her whirlwind romance, brain-free husband, check cashing acrobatics and surprise (not) divorce, and challenged Charlie for the lead. I’ve got it! How about a Tacky Couple Award? Theirs would be a match made in Hollywood heaven. Oh, those two have got to meet, or what’s a Hollywood for?”
3. Arnold Schwarzenegger. Grace H. of Burbank sums it up: “Former governator Arnold Schwarzenneger makes Bill Clinton look like a cub scout. First he let Maria find out the hard way that he sired a child by his housekeeper. Then after they split up he went out in public sporting a T shirt that said, “I survived Maria 1977 – 2010.”
And this comment from reader Linda D.: “Arnold Schwarzenegger deserves the award for being unfaithful to his wife, family, and the state of California. And then having the bad taste to wear an ‘I survived Maria’ t-shirt.”
Agrees Paula G.: “It has to be the Arnold: what he has done to Maria Shriver is so awful. I used to like him, but now, I am not interested in seeing anything he does. Thank goodness he’s no longer the Governor of California.”
4. Gerard Depardieu. “Gerard Depardieu deserves your award, hands down, for urinating in the aisle of a plane after being told he had to wait until after takeoff to use the bathroom, causing a two-hour flight delay. If one of us mere mortals did that, we’d be arrested.” — Ken, Tacoma, WA.
Peggy S. of Los Angeles voted for Depardieu, adding, “I want to mention Anderson Cooper also. It was one thing to get the giggles during his report about l’affaire Depardeiu — but then to have Depardieu on his talk show to discuss the incident, and hand out peepee bottles to everyone in the audience? That was Tacky. But I still love Anderson.”
5. Lindsay Lohan. The troubled actress, who has been doing community service at the L.A. morgue as a result of violating her probation, drew tacky votes for “blowing chance after chance to straighten out,” as J.Y. of Bell, CA put it.
“Lindsay Lohan gets my vote. You know you’ve hit bottom when Heidi Fleiss gets on TV and congratulates you for posing for Playboy and says you’d make a great hooker.” — Tara K., Ohio
6. Kate Gosselin. “As always, the tackiest person in America is Kate Gosselin,” contends Dee W. She explains: “From her trashy clothing to her constant bashing of the father of her children, she epitomizes the word tacky. Her classifiying her ex as ‘mediocre’ because he prefers to work a regular job and live out of the spotlight was classic Kate.”
“I would rather listen to nails on a chalkboard than that whiney b#@! any day.” — George F., Woodland Hills, CA
7. Jesse James. The reality show star got a late flurry of votes after his ex, Kat Von D, went public with her claim that he’d cheated on her with at least 19 women during their engagement. “Wasn’t he supposed to have been treated for sex addiction after his cheating wrecked his marriage to Sandra Bullock? Jesse, you tacky dog, you should demand your money back.” — L.Z.
8. Courteney Cox and David Arquette. “Their over-sharing about their sex life problems on Howard Stern’s show has tainted my feelings about them. Really, Courteney, thought you had more class than to dispense such intimate details with gutter language. Sad for Coco.” — Linda W., Peoria, IL
9. Hank Williams, Jr., ESPN and “Fox and Friends.” The singer’s remark, on “Fox and Friends,” making an analogy using President Obama and Hitler, got his iconic theme song cut from Monday Night Football after 20 years — and both sides chimed in:
`”Hank totally got the shaft. If you read the transcript, he never said Obama was like Hitler. His conservative politics is what really got him ousted from MNF. And he’s right that ‘Fox and Friends’ set him up.” — Dan H.
On the other hand, S.B. of Long Island, NY, wrote, “Who gives a damn what Hank Williams Jr. thinks? He’s a right-wing crackpot with no talent. Glad to see him go.”
10. Brad Pitt. “Some people continue to add insult to dumping their spouses overboard. Brad Pitt told Dotson Rader of Parade Magazine that his life was boring when he was married to Jennifer Aniston. Quote, “I wasn’t living an interesting life, myself. I think that my marriage [to Jennifer Aniston] had something to do with it.” – Grace H., Burbank, CA
Sure, you’re thinking trick or treat, but the fact is, it’s less than a month now until Thanksgiving, which means it’s time for our annual roasting of celebrities who’ve exhibited the tackiest taste this year. Readers decide this, you may recall, not us. How far we have come from this contests’s beginnings, when a simple extramarital affair or wardrobe malfunction could be enough to land the prize. With tacky reality notoriety a way of life, show business celebrities have to work extra hard to out-tacky one another now. And yet, they do. So what do you think? Will Snooki win again? Or does Susan Sarandon have a chance for calling the pope a Nazi? Or Hank Williams, Jr., for comparing the President to Hitler? Or maybe the Kardashians will inspire Kontempt through their Klothes. Who knows? Tell us who’s your choice for Tackiest celeb and be sure to include why. Send emails marked Tacky Taste to Stacy@becksmithhollywood.com. The results will be posted Thanksgiving week.
Happy Thanksgiving to one and all, and a big serving of gratitude to the readers who contributed their votes — and wit — to this annual celebrity turkey shoot. Our cornucopia overflows with tackiness, so let’s get to it:
1. Snooki. Just in time for her 23rd birthday this week (Nov. 23), the petite “Jersey Shore” vixen becomes the top vote getter in the 33rd Annual Beck/Smith Hollywood Tacky Taste Awards. Yes, Snooki, nee Nicole Polizzi, won the hearts — or at least, the attention — of Tacky voters across the land.
“Cute little figure and dumb as a box of rocks. Snooki is my Tacky Princess for 2010,” writes R.M. of Anaheim, CA. “Snooki and ‘Tacky’ go together like Cheetohs and orange fingers. Ya gotta love her,” says Jamie L. of Canton, OH. Referring to her arrest this past summer for loudly stumbling around drunk on a beach, Teri99 points out: “When a judge calls you a ‘Lindsay Lohan wannabe’ it just doesn’t get tackier than that.” Carlos G. of New York brought up Snooki’s surprising “Happy Birthday” Twitter exchange with John McCain: “Look out. This is how it all began with Sarah Palin.”
2. Lady Gaga. “Lady Ga-ga’s dress con carne pushed her into the gag-o-sphere of tackiness” as reader Bernice R. of Naples, FL cleverly puts it. She adds, “I propose a last name for her: ‘Maggot.’ Then, she could be called, ‘Lady Gag-a-Maggot.’ Grace H. of Burbank, CA, concurs: “She seems to be the figment of a deranged mind. She really went too far when she was dressed in slabs of meat. Now that Mr. Blackwell is gone women will do anything.”
3. Kate Gosselin. “She claims to ‘do it all for the kids’ but goes around dressed like a $2 whore and never misses an opportunity to denigrate and bash her ex-husband,” says reader Dee W.. Tell us how you really feel, Dee! She continues that Gosselin “treats other people as if they are less than human, including her own children. This not only is bad for the children, it’s now showing up in the kids’ behavior as well, with 2 of them being expelled from kindergarten (!!) for bullying and mistreating their fellow students.”
4. ‘DWTS’/Bristol Palin. “The politicizing of ‘Dancing With the Stars,’ their fawning over Sarah Palin, and all the Tea Partiers voting to keep the clearly
inferior Bristol in the competition all these weeks, has ruined the show for me. I won’t be watching any more,” proclaims Joanne R. of West Haven, CT. Others, like brucekn write, “It’s ‘Dancing With the Stars.’ Since when is Bristol Palin a star?”
5. Mel Gibson/Oksana Grigorieva. “I certainly don’t condone Gibson’s terrible behavior, what with the racist rants, the verbal abuse and threats he’s heaped on Oksana, and the fact he left his wife for this nasty woman. However, I feel sorry for him because he is obviously mentally ill and she took advantage of
that to trap and extort him. The whole situation is beyond tacky,” writes TrulyJenC. Her sentiments are echoed by Rory from Atlanta: “All she cares about is $$. These tapes exploit his bipolar disease. Stop posting them!” But others are less sympathetic to the rage-spewing star. Tim G. of Northridge, CA, blasts, “Set up or not, Gibson is an abuser, pure and simple. His claim of being ‘broke’ is funny. I thought he had a $900 million fortune not so long ago. So, now he’s down to $300 million and feeling the pinch? I should be so broke.”
6. David Arquette, for “going on Howard Stern’s show after the announcement of his marital split from Courteney Cox and airing all their dirty laundry? Announcing his having sex with another woman? Ugh. I wonder how Courteney stayed with this idiot for so long,” wrote Rochelle T. of St. Louis.
7. Charlie Sheen. “I don’t know which is worse: Sheen or his Hollywood enablers. He tears up a NYC hotel room and clocks a hooker and they say it’s an allergic reaction?! As long as the checks are good, right folks?” — Rich M., Newark, NJ
8. The Kardashians. The celebutante/socialite sisters Kourtney, Kim, and Khloe seen on “Keeping Up With the Kardashians” drew tacky votes for various reasons. “Kim flaunting her sexual relationship with Miles Austin in front of ex Reggie Bush shows again she’s a total skank” — Tenney, Brooklyn, NY. “Khloe’s ongoing comments about finding it hard to conceive with Lamar Odom are tacky T.M.I.” — Brenda K., San Diego, CA. “I still don’t get what these three sleazy man-eating @#!$es are famous for.” — Pat O., El Paso, TX
9. Joaquin Phoenix. Clearly, Casey Affleck’s “I’m Still Here: The Lost Year of Joaquin Phoenix” hoax was a dud. Bernice R. skewers Joaquin thusly: “Wacky jokester but otherwise talented, Joaquin Phoenix’s nauseating hair and beard garnered him literally tens of fans worldwide this year, bringing the total attendance to his last movie to 72 virgins, but only if you count the enamored camels.” Ouch.
10. Laura Schlessinger. A past Tacky Taste winner returns, with complaints over her tackiness summed up by G.H.: “Laura Schlessinger used the ‘N’ word repeatedly as she was talking to a caller who was black.”
Dishonorable Mentions. They’re not celebrities, but many would agree with Michael B. of Rockford, Il, when he says “The brain trust at the Transportation Security Agency who came up with the virtual strip search and sexually invasive pat downs to which travelers are suddenly being subjected are tackiest of all this year.” Then there’s “Stephen Colbert’s appearance before the Senate hearings on migrant workers. [It] will stand forever in the annals of tackiness, otherwise known as the Congressional Record. Single-handedly, Colbert elevated a government committee up to the level of cheap entertainment. Kudos also go to Jon Stewart for calling the President of the United States, ‘Dude,’ to his face.” — B.R., FL
And that’s it for this year. Here’s hoping all your turkeys offer the very best of taste.
Happy Thanksgiving to one and all and a big thank you to readers of this column who submitted candidates for this year’s Tacky Taste Awards. From lofty heights to lowlifes, cheesy reality TV stars to the Nobel Prize Committee – 2009 marks possibly the most wide-ranging menu of celebrity bad taste we’ve seen in the history of this contest! So let’s get to it:
1. Jon & Kate Gosselin. The couple who rose to fame as the parents of cute twins and sextuplets – and gained infamy with their bitter split, their affairs, their ugly accusations, oversized egos, etc. were deemed tackiest by a clear majority. As longtime reader B.B. Richmond of Naples, Florida Fla. put it: “There could not be a Tacky Taste Award without mentioning Jon and Kate, the All-American loonies. Where did Jon and Kate get the ‘great’ idea to pimp out their kids? ACORN? I can envision ACORN advising them. ‘Don’t call it “child abuse,” call it a “Reality TV Show.”’ Hopefully the kids will earn enough money to pay for the best mental help money can buy.”
Other readers echoed her sentiments: “The Gosselins should win in tandem,” said Carma, adding, “It’s like they had a tacky-thon to see who could embarrass themselves more. At least Jon shows some regret for his behavior, she never apologizes for being a ‘B’ from hell!” Diana wrote: “Kate Gosselin, for so very many things, but mostly for going on national TV and crying about how she can’t afford to feed her children in one breath, then in the next bragging about the diamond and ‘mother of pearl’ she’s going to buy (she clearly does not know what mother of pearl is).
2. Joe Jackson. “Joe Jackson is your walking definition of tackiness. What could be tackier than trying to hype his new record label on the red carpet of an awards show right after Michael’s death?” asked Greg B. of Canoga Park, CA. Savannah wrote that Jackson’s attitude seems to be: “Just because everyone knows I abused Michael doesn’t mean I’m not gonna contest the will!”
3. “Mr. Bad Attitude Kanye West, for spoiling Taylor Swift’s award moment,” as reader Margo P. put it, speaking of West jumping onstage and interrupting Swift’s acceptance speech to say that Beyonce deserved the award. And from Jed: “Kanye West deserves a big a** kicking for his VMA stunt.”
4. Dethroned Miss California Carrie Prejean. From Jeff: “Carrie Prejean takes the cake! Skanky hypocrite with her holier than thou attitude, her fake boobs and her sex tape of her masturbating. Now the religious right is cutting ties with her. No one else comes close to this tackiness.” Morgan P. of Cleveland found the humor: “What a hoot! She’s ready to walk off Larry King’s show over ‘inappropriate’ questions? Larry King, the scary hard-hitting inquisitor.”
5. David Letterman. “Ughhhh,” wrote Judy O. “I can’t watch him anymore, thinking of him doing the dirty old man number with his female staff.” “What a nauseating man. Never liked his mean humor, so I’m glad he’s now getting some turn-about from other comics,” said M.M.
6. Miley Cyrus and her daddy, Billy Ray: “Look at her tacky clothes. She’s turning up the skank quotient!” wrote D. Lewis of New York. “Last year it was the bedroom magazine pic, this year pole dancing on the Teen Choice Awards” – Carol. “…And then come the comments from her father that it’s really okay, people are reading things into that aren’t there. Riiiiight” – J. Horwitz, Newark, N.J.
7. Levi Johnston, the spotlight-loving father of Sarah Palin’s grandson, and ex-boyfriend of Bristol Palin: From Patty W.: “Levi Johnston deserves to be named Tackiest. Also Vanity Fair and Playgirl and all the media rushing to help him embarrass Sarah Palin for fun and profit.”
8. The Roman Polanski Defenders. Contributor B.B. Richmond again summed up the feelings of others who expressed disgust toward those advocating in favor of director Roman Polanski’s release, more than three decades after being charged with rape and pleading guilty to unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor. “It was treated like a ‘minor infraction’ by Hollywood beacons of morality Martin Scorsese, Woody Allen, David Lynch, Jonathan Demme and Pedro Almodovar who signed a petition to demand Polanski’s release from jail on a morals crime. Earth to those lights, so lofty that they are out of touch: I will tell you the same thing that Sister Mary Ann taught in fifth grade, ‘Show me your friends and I will tell you what you are.’”
9. Perez Hilton. The self-proclaimed most hated Hollywood blogger on the internet drew some hate from our readers, too, for several of his exploits this year, including his feud with the Black Eyed Peas’ Will.i.am. “I am voting for Perez Hilton (who’s famous for what again?) for saying he’d been attacked by Will.i.am when it was clearly his manager,” wrote Isaac.
10. Michael Lohan: Lindsay’s father got Tacky Awards attention for releasing embarrassing and damning tapes about his troubled daughter. “This man has no conscience.” – L. Ramirez, Albuquerque, N.M.
DISHONORABLE MENTIONS go to Sammy Sosa for “looking whiter and brighter” – M.P; Sarah Palin for reasons including “her endless whining” – Tracey W; Glenn Beck, for “fear-mongering that goes beyond tacky” – D.L.; and the Nobel Prize Committee, for giving President Obama the Nobel Peace Price “for doing nothing. It sort of cheapens the prize they gave Yasser Arafat, don‘t you think?” – B.R.
That’s it for this year. From now on, may all your turkeys be tasty ones
With Thanksgiving almost upon us again, it’s time to dish those celebrity turkeys whose behavior you found hard to swallow this year — the 2008 Tacky Taste Awards, voted on by readers. Here are the Top 10 results:
1. Sarah Palin. The former VP candidate may not have won on Nov. 4, but she won here, proving a lightning rod for tacky votes — with correspondence both condemning and defending her. “I have a big problem with Sarah Palin’s $150,000 wardrobe. So much for being for the working class,” wrote AlleeC via email. Grace H. of Burbank, Calif., wrote, “I second the nomination for Sarah Palin’s wardrobe and everything else Sarah Palin — such as her look-at-me-I’m-pregnant-and-single teenage daughter.”
But on the other hand, after we indicated in our column that the Alaska governor was drawing Tacky votes, a storm of letters came in on her behalf. Such as: “I think you two should be listed as tacky. How many times do you have to be told that Gov. Sarah Palin did not pick out the clothing, it was the RNC. She couldn’t move without the news media and photographers being on her trail, and yet how many photos did we see showing her in the exclusive stores?” wrote Martha J. of Chattanooga, Tenn. “What about the cost of Joe Biden’s botox and hair transplants?” mused Blake123 from the Internet. And then there were those, like KrisL of San Bernardino, Calif., who were disgusted by the triviality of it all: “Forget the economy, Iraq, global warming and health care. Let’s talk about her clothes! Now, that’s tacky.”
2. Madonna and Guy Ritchie. The ugly Madonna/Guy Ritchie divorce and how public they have been about dissing each other got readers’ attention. “He said she was like cuddling up to a piece of gristle, and at a concert she said her song ‘Miles Away’ was dedicated to the emotionally retarded, which people believed she was talking about him. Maybe they’re each right, but why to they have to go out and tell the world? After all, they picked each other,” wrote F.F. of Raleigh, N.C. PandagirlDeb emailed, “Divorce really sucks for the kids, and all the sniping in public doesn’t help.” “Her affair with Alex Rodriguez adds another tacky chapter to her slutty, tacky life story,” said Tony from Phoenix, Ariz.
3. Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. Angelina Jolie’s comment to the New York Times alluding to the fact that she and Brad Pitt fell in love while making “Mr. & Mrs. Smith” rankled more than a few. “So now the truth pops out. Whatever happened to her holier-than-thou statements that her mom was cheated on, so she’d never break up a marriage?” asked reader Jon S.
from Bloomfield, N.J. Sean-D emailed, “Why do people always rush to attack Jolie as if she was the sole culprit in this story, with Pitt getting a free pass? It ain’t right.” And then there are those who are just tired of the couple in general. As G.H. of Burbank put it, “I’m sick of Brangelina having kids every time they turn around and reading about them every time they go to the toilet.”
4. Miley Cyrus and Billy Ray Cyrus. You didn’t forget her bare-in-bed Lolita-esque Vanity Fair pose. “Her daddy is to blame,” declared Ellen of Orlando, Fla. D.G. of Denver felt, “The whole thing with the two of them posing more like a couple than father and daughter was ewwwwwww, sleazy & tacky!! It’s sickening, the way he’s riding her coattails to refresh his career, at any cost.” “I used to really like her, but now I can’t stand her and her huge ego. Go Selena and Demi!” added SamanthaHC on the Internet.
5. Balthazar Getty and Sienna Miller. “What were they thinking, making out with her nearly nude on a beach with paparazzi around? Not only was he married, he’s got four kids. It doesn’t get any tackier,” claimed Ann S., over the Internet. “She acts like a slut and then sues paparazzi over the fact she is a tramp. Sad.” — Dale C., Las Vegas. “Wowza. She doesn’t seem to like wearing tops. She must get a lot of chest colds.” — A.I., Newark
6. Mariah Carey. “Reading about her demanding a private jet, a $15,000 a night penthouse suite and a Michelin-starred chef to appear on the World Music Awards made my blood boil. This kind of outrageous diva behavior was bad enough before, but now that so many people are suffering economically, losing their jobs, unable to pay for their kids’ needs, it’s completely disgusting.” — Nora B., St. Louis, Mo.
7. Lynn Spears. “To exploit your daughter’s personal life to sell your book is beyond tacky. And it’s supposed to be ‘inspirational’ on top of that.” — Bernice, Yonkers, N.Y.
8. Russell Brand, for making fun of the Jonas Brothers’ chastity promise rings on the Video Music Awards. “Even Paris Hilton thought he went too far.” — C.S., Denver
9. Lindsay Lohan. “She is so trashy and tacky, and this incident with her fighting and screaming obscenities at her girlfriend, Samantha Ronson, in a London nightclub is par for the course. Anger management rehab?” — Jay M., Northridge, Calif.
10. John Mayer. “Even though John Mayer and Jennifer Aniston got back together, I thought it was tacky how he kept talking to the press about their breakup. I can’t believe she took him back after that!” — E.F., via email.
And, that’s it for this year. Wishing you all a warm and peaceful holiday, and may all your turkeys be tasty ones!
With reports by Emily Feimster.
To find out more about Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith and read their past columns, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.
COPYRIGHT 2008 MARILYN BECK AND STACY JENEL SMITH
DISTRIBUTED BY CREATORS SYNDICATE, INC.
After three decades of tallying up votes that have run the gamut of celebrity strangeness and bad taste, we have to say, 2007 goes down among the tackiest — at least. The competition was tremendous, we’re sorry to say. Here are the Top 10 stars deemed tackiest of 2007 by readers:
1. BRITNEY SPEARS — “She parties the night away, she loses custody of her kids, has drug test problems, crushes a guy’s feet with her car, runs red lights with kids in backseat, and looks like a sausage packed into a bikini on the VMAs, where she forgets to sing. She’s way beyond tacky,” wrote Chris C. of Van Nuys, CA. Maura H. of Cleveland was among the many who said they were sorry for Spears’ two young sons with ex-husband Kevin Federline: “If she can’t even take care of herself, how can she take care of them?” Said Jordan F. of Arlington, VA, “Tackiest? I recommend the judge who decided to take Britney’s kids from her and give them to Kevin, who’s just as messed-up.” Dylan D. of New York suggested “maybe Brad and Angelina will adopt her kids.” “It was supposed to be her big comeback, but Britney let down tons of fans with her lethargic performance at the VMA’s,” noted F.F. from South Carolina, “and let’s not forget that earlier this year, she also went into a salon and shaved her own hair off. Now, that’s tacky!”
2. SARAH SILVERMAN — “Give your Tacky award to Sarah Silverman, who has worked so hard for it!” urged Jake G., Pasadena, CA. Wrote Shari M. of Bloomfield, N.J.: “She’s dirty, nasty… a perfect example of how sleazy things have gotten on TV nowadays, like her jokes about Paris Hilton on the MTV Awards — they’re going to paint the bars of her jail cell to look like penises so she’ll be more comfortable? If that’s not tacky, what is?” “Taking swipes at Britney, no problem, but when she called Brit’s children “the most adorable little mistakes ever” on an awards show, she was way out of line! Just nasty and tacky! — Foxy C., Los Angeles, CA
3. VANESSA HUDGENS — “She’s supposed to be a role model to young kids everywhere. She had no business posing nude in photos for her boyfriend Zac — wait, I mean, ex-boyfriend Drake Bell. Wait, was it both? So hard to keep track of naked pictures, you know,” said CompuServe reader Uneak1.
4. ROSIE O’DONNELL — “I still can’t believe the on-air fight with Elizabeth Hasselbeck…I used to be a fan of Rosie, but her inflammatory rhetoric, her feuds, her conspiracy theory nonsense — she’s gone from being terrific to terribly tacky,” wrote DPix of Bakersfield, CA. Paul V. opined via the internet, “She’s a bully, she’s rude, she’s vulgar, she believes her s— don’t stink. She is tacky to the tenth power.”
5. PARIS HILTON — PceCollgrrrl wrote on the internet: “The tackiest part of the time she spent in jail was the enormous media frenzy that ensued. We didn’t need to see a one-hour special of Paris, post-jail reading her journal entries during her experience. She broke the law. She deserved to be punished, not applauded for being “brave.”
6. ALEC BALDWIN — “His out-of-control rant against his young daughter was beyond tacky. It was abusive,” complained Leslie S. of Sherman Oaks, CA Internet writer TmW2 is among those who feel that Baldwin ought to “split the tackiness award for bad celebrity father of the year with DAVID HASSELHOFF, who destroyed his image for me forever in that video where he’s drunk and hurling expletives at his teen daughter.”
7. ELLEN DEGENERES — “We love Ellen, but it was a bit much seeing her sobbing on TV over the fact that she broke some doggy adoption rules, which resulted in the adopted dog being taken back by the agency,” barked Val V. of Chattanooga, TN. “The war in Iraq, global warming, worldwide abuse against women, children killing children in schools — and Ellen breaks down over a dog she didn’t even keep for herself? Tacky set of priorities if you ask me.” — M.S. Burbank, CA.
8. DENISE RICHARDS VS. CHARLIE SHEEN — “I don’t know whether her accusations about all his sexual perversions are true or not, but I do know that both these two are putting their vicious divorce battle ahead of the welfare of their children by making such public declarations against each other. Shame on them!” wrote Kelly O. online. “Charlie Sheen announcing to the world that his ex still wants to have children with him — whether true or not — while he’s engaged to another woman proved that Sheen is tactless, shameless and clueless.” — Naomi S., Sacramento, CA
9. LINDSAY LOHAN — “Every time I think Lindsay’s going to get it together, some new story comes out — like her chasing after her assistant’s mother in her car. Pretty tacky,” wrote Shannon B. of Phoenix. Added R.H. of Houston, “After getting in trouble with the law for a DUI, she went to rehab to get help, fine. Then she ended up starting a relationship with a fellow rehabber, who was in a serious relationship at the time. Not just tacky — skanky.”
10. PAULA ABDUL — “Everything about her reality show, ‘Hey Paula,’ was tacky,” said Manuela G. of the Bronx, NY, “from her erratic behavior to her public meltdowns.”
DISHONORABLE MENTIONS: O.J. Simpson for his memorabilia robbing incident, Michael Vick for his apparent participation in dog-fighting, “The Hills” Lauren Conrad due to her sex tape scandal, Dog the Bounty Hunter for using the N-word, Nick Hogan (son of Hunk Hogan) for his street racing that finally resulted in a serious car wreck that left his best friend in a coma, Keifer Sutherland for his DUI arrest, Tim McGraw’s crotch-grabbing fans, and “you, Beck/Smith, for giving all this attention to tacky celebrities.”
Happy Holidays to you all, and may your turkeys be tasty ones!