Thanksgiving is here — time to remember all the things for which we are truly grateful. And it’s also time for our annual dishing of celebrity turkeys whose behavior you found hard to swallow this year. A big ‘thank you!’ to those who contributed comments and votes. Now, here they are, from the nefarious to the uproarious, with some dizzy ding-dongs in-between, the 2013 Beck/Smith Hollywood Tacky Taste Awards:
1. Miley Cyrus. “Surely Miley Cyrus deserves your tacky award. She has been trying so hard to be tackiest of all, with her twerking, her onstage pot smoking, her naked ‘Wrecking Ball’ video and seemingly more tackiness each and every week.” — BenP1600. “Her twerk-a-thon during the MTV Video Music Awards was about as sexy as a dog humping someone’s leg.” — Chris E., Woodland Hills, Calif. “Hannah Montana grew up and became Miley I da ho.” — Katelyn S., Albuquerque, N.M.
2. Justin Bieber, “for his pee-in-a-bucket and diss-Clinton video moments and his truly offensive written statement in the Anne Frank House guest book that he’d like to think Anne would be a ‘Belieber’ if she were alive today.” — Brandon_W
3. The Kardashians. For lots of reasons. Among them, contributor Grace H. of Burbank writes: “Kim Kardashian for refusing a baby gift from Katie Couric because, in her words, ‘I hate fake media friends.'” And then there’s … “Now it’s Kendall Jenner getting into the tacky Kardashian self-exploitation circus with her nipple-baring ‘art photography’ shot at 18, and her half-sister Khloe answers criticism of that by telling the public to ‘enjoy the view’?! No class whatsoever.” — Paula P., Lancaster, Calif. And then there’s … “Kanye West’s ‘Yeezus’ record is full of sleaze and the video with him and baby mama Kim Kardashian, where she is topless, is totally tacky. ‘I wanna $#@! you hard on the sink. After that get you something to drink.’ Really? Now, those are some crappy AND tacky lyrics!” — Jen R., Houston, Texas.
4. Alec Baldwin. “For his anti-gay outburst against a photographer and his homophobic rant on Twitter against a British journalist. And for being a smug punk with an anger management problem.” — Dan G., Spokane, Wash.
5. President Barack Obama/Obamacare. “I can’t believe they farmed out the job of programming the U.S. government’s affordable health care website to CGI Group Inc, a Canadian software company. Surely a good ol’ all-American software company could have #$@!’ed it up just as well.” — B.R., Athens, Ga.
7. Chris Brown. “I nominate Chris Brown and the gossip media that still follows around this waste of space of a human being. [He was] thrown out of rehab for violent behavior and smashed the window of your own mother’s car with a brick. He needs jail.” — TimCCD.
8. This has been a terrible year for scandals among mayors and mayoral wannabes. Collectively, they landed in the Tacky Top 10. “Toronto’s Rob Ford is tackiest. Let us count the ways: He admitted smoking crack cocaine and is said to have imbibed vodka in his car and to have brought suspected prostitutes to his office. But he won’t resign.” — Mary M., Dearborn, Mich. “Your tacky winner is former U.S. Congressman Anthony Weiner, hands down — or should it be pants down? In spite of the scandals over his sending lewd photos of himself to women on Twitter, he still wanted to run for mayor of NYC. This is the level of our leaders these days?” — J.B., White Plains, N.Y. “I nominate San Diego’s sexual harassment king and former mayor, Bob Filner. If false imprisonment and battery against three women, charges to which he recently pled guilty, isn’t the tackiest of all, I can’t imagine what is.” — Phyllidater.
9. Seth MacFarlane, “for bringing down the Academy Awards show to his own coarse, tacky, tasteless level. I grew up on the Oscars as the epitome of class and wit, and unforgettable moments like David Niven’s response when a streaker ran across the stage. To sink to a production number called ‘We Saw Your Boobs’ and an endless run of offensive jokes is truly sad.” — T.M., Dubuque, Iowa
10. Rihanna. “So tacky, the way she can’t keep her hands off her lady parts in concert. Wish she would lay off the dirty girl theatrics and just sing.” — YosiPF. And that’s it for this year! Here’s hoping your turkeys are tasty ones.
COPYRIGHT 2013 MARILYN BECK AND STACY JENEL SMITH DISTRIBUTED BY CREATORS.COM